Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU), founded in 1896, is one of comprehensive, research-oriented, and international top universities in China, enjoying a long history and a worldwide reputation. SJTU welcomes prospective students from all over the world and provides various undergraduate English programs in the Science and Engineering disciplines.
Brief Introduction of Programs
International students who apply for SJTU undergraduate English programs will spend one and a half years at UM-SJTU Joint Institute (JI). Thereafter the students may choose to continue studying in JI or other majors provided by SJTU's other engineering schools (in English or Chinese) for bachelor’s degree.
UM-SJTU Joint Institute (JI)
· The UM-SJTU Joint Institute (JI) was jointly established by Shanghai Jiao Tong University and the University of Michigan. JI is to build a world-class teaching and research institute in China for nurturing innovative leaders with global visions. Students spend four years at JI and obtain a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME), Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), or Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) from SJTU.
· Website: http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn
The School of Materials Science and Engineering
· Materials Science and Engineering
The program provides internationally recognized education in the field of materials science and engineering, cultivating students with strong problem solving abilities in science and engineering, global vision, as well as communication and teamwork skills.
· Website: http://en.smse.sjtu.edu.cn
The School of Electronic, Information and Electrical Engineering
· Computer Science and Technology
The program adjusted its subject directions, and now strong research groups have formed in the areas of theoretical computer science, parallel and distributed systems, computer networking, intelligent human-computer interaction, cryptography and information security. It aims to attract international students and to prepare them to be industry and academic leaders with international vision.
· Information Engineering
The program is to train students to be high-quality elites and applied research talents in field of information engineering with perfect personality, strong sense of responsibility as well as international vision. The main courses include: digital electronic technology, analog electronic technology, communication principles, basic communication circuits, microwave and antenna.
· Website: http://english.seiee.sjtu.edu.cn
The School of Naval Architecture, Ocean and Civil Engineering
· Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
The Program has been dedicated in scientific research and talent cultivation in the naval architecture and ocean engineering industry. The key research work focuses on the following: design and development of new ship type and new conceptual ocean engineering structure, research and development of all kinds of ocean engineering technology and equipment.
· Website: http://naoce.sjtu.edu.cn
The School of Mechanical Engineering
· Mechanical engineering and automation
The program is one of the oldest and most prestigious programs in SJTU, aimed to develop creative talent in mechanical design and manufacturing technology and modern control technology. The main courses include: design and manufacture, mechanical and energy engineering, information and control, and automotive design and manufacturing.
· Power and energy engineering
The program is one of the oldest and strongest programs in SJTU aimed to cultivate composite, creative talents in thermal, mechanical, electrical integration theory and technology. The main courses include: design and manufacture, mechanical and energy engineering, information and control systems, and power machinery equipment principles.
· Website: http://me.sjtu.edu.cn
How to Apply
1. Healthy, non-Chinese citizens, foreign passport holders with senior high school diploma (or above)
2. Applicants of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan who have immigrated to other countries should meet the conditions set by the “Document No. 83 (2009) of Ministry of Education of the PRC .pdf”
· Early Action – November 15, 2017 (Beijing Time, GMT+8)
· Regular Application – May 31, 2018 (Beijing Time, GMT+8)
1. Test Scores
- SAT (JI code: 6563)
- ACT (JI code: 6983)
- IB (International Baccalaureate)
- National Exam Scores, such as Malaysia National Exam Scores or others
- TOEFL (iBT) (JI code: 6210) for non-native speakers of English
- IELTS for non-native speakers of English
- 2 recommendation letters are required: one from your high school counselor and one from a teacher
3. High School Transcripts
- We pay special attention to math, physics, chemistry and other related subjects. Please arrange to have official copies of your transcripts in English sent to us from all high schools you attended.
English Proficiency Requirement
· TOEFL (iBT) – 84 or above
· IELTS – 6 or above
- If SAT critical reading score is 600 or above, or both your ACT reading and English scores are 27 or higher.
- Recently completed at least 4 years of rigorous academic study in any of the following countries: Anguila, Antigua, Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, England, Federated States of Micronesia, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Montserrat, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Seychelles, Shetland Islands, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States (other than Puerto Rico), US Virgin Islands, Wales.
Financial Aid & Scholarships
· Excellent students will be awarded scholarships, such as Chinese Government Scholarship, Shanghai Government Scholarship, Teaching Assistantship, or others.
· Students applying for Chinese Government Scholarship should directly to the local Chinese embassy or consulate. When completing the scholarship application form, the applicant should select Shanghai Jiao Tong University as the first priority.
· CNY 80,000 (Approx.US$ 12,000)
· All applicants are required to pay a nonrefundable application fee of USD$75.
· in early September 2018 (the specific date will be shown in the admission letter)
· The university provides a wide range of housing selections to the international student so that they can choose the dormitory freely in different prices and types. Students could also look for an off-campus residence.
· International students applying for on-campus accommodation are required to book dormitory online. Details will be provided with admission letter.
· The relevant regulations by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China and the Management Regulations for International Students of SJTU require that all international students with a study duration over 6 months must purchase Group Comprehensive Insurance in Mainland China. Students without valid Group Comprehensive Insurance or students who doesn’t submit the valid insurance documents to the ISSC will NOT be allowed to register for the subsequent semester.
· The premium of the Group Comprehensive Insurance is RMB800/one year, RMB400/half year. Please log in to www.lxbx.net to look up and download the detailed information on the Group Comprehensive Insurance including the articles, insurance liabilities, insurance claims, etc.
· Student visas are only available for international students who have been enrolled at SJTU.
· International students may apply for an X1 or X2 visa at the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate, and enter into China within one week before the day of registration. An international student with an X1 visa shall apply for a residence permit within 30 days after entry into China. Those who fail to make the application and continue to stay with expired visas are treated as an illegal stay and will be imposed the penalty prescribed by the law.
· Detailed information regarding visa application and residence permit will be provided with admission letter.
SJTU Undergraduate Admission Office of International Student
Address: Room 100A, New Administration Building B, 800 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai, China
Post code: 200240