Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) founded in 1896, is one of comprehensive, research-oriented, and international top universities in China enjoying a long history and a world-renowned reputation. SJTU welcomes prospective students from all over the world and provides various undergraduate programs in the Science and Engineering disciplines.
Brief Introduction of Programs
French speaking international students who apply for SJTU undergraduate programs will spend one-and-a-half years at SJTU-ParisTech Elite Institute of Technology (SPEIT). Thereafter the students could choose to continue studying in SPEIT (in French) or other majors provided by SJTU's other engineering schools (in English or Chinese) for bachelor’s degree.
SJTU-ParisTech Elite Institute of Technology (SPEIT)
SJTU-ParisTech Elite Institute of Technology (SPEIT) brings together the strengths of leading French Grandes Ecole (Ecole Polytechnique, Mines ParisTech, Telecom ParisTech, ENSTA ParisTech) and of Shanghai JiaoTong University to develop Sino-French research and innovation collaboration and to educate high-potential Chinese and international students to become industrial leaders and innovators with:
a broad-based scientific background
the ability to evolve in a multicultural business environment
a forefront knowledge in one specialty field: Information and Communication Technology,Mechanical Engineering and Power and Energy Engineering.
The School of Materials Science and Engineering
· Materials Science and Engineering
The program is to provide internationally recognized education in the field of materials science and engineering, cultivating students with strong problem solving abilities in science and engineering, global vision, as well as communication and teamwork skills.
· Website: http://en.smse.sjtu.edu.cn
The School of Electronic, Information and Electrical Engineering
· Computer Science and Technology
The program adjusted its subject directions and now strong research groups have formed in the areas of theoretical computer science, parallel and distributed systems, computer networking, intelligent human-computer interaction, cryptography and information security. It aims to attract international students and to prepare students to be industry and academic leaders with international vision.
· Information Engineering
The program is to train students to be high-quality elites and applied research talents in field of Information Engineering with perfect personality, strong sense of responsibility and international vision. The main courses include: digital electronic technology, analog electronic technology, communication principles, basic communication circuits, microwave and antenna.
· Website: http://english.seiee.sjtu.edu.cn
The School of Naval Architecture, Ocean and Civil Engineering
· Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
The Program has been dedicated in scientific research and talent cultivation in the naval architecture and ocean engineering industry. The key research work focuses on the following: design and development of new ship type and new conceptual ocean engineering structure, research and development of all kinds of ocean engineering technology and equipment.
· Website: http://naoce.sjtu.edu.cn
The School of Mechanical Engineering
· Mechanical engineering and automation
The program is one of the oldest and most prestigious programs in SJTU aimed to develop creative talents in mechanical design and manufacturing technology and modern control technology. The main courses include: design and manufacture, mechanical and energy engineering, Information and control, automotive design and manufacturing.
· Power and energy engineering
The program is one of the oldest and strongest programs in SJTU aimed to cultivate composite, creative talents with thermal, mechanical, electrical integration theory and technology. The main courses include: design and manufacture, mechanical and energy engineering, information and control systems, power machinery equipment principles.
· Website: http://me.sjtu.edu.cn
UM-SJTU Joint Institute (JI)
· The UM-SJTU Joint Institute (JI) was jointly established by Shanghai Jiao Tong University and the University of Michigan. JI is to build a world-class teaching and research institute in China for nurturing innovative leaders with global visions. Students spend four years at JI and obtain a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (ME), Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), or Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) from SJTU.
· Website: http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn
How to Apply
1. Non-Chinese citizens, foreign passport holders with senior high school diploma (or above)
2. Applicants of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan who have immigrated to other countries should meet the conditions set by the “Document No. 83 (2009) of Ministry of Education of the PRC .pdf”
· February 15th – May 31st, 2018 (Beijing Time, GMT+8)
1. CV and personal statement
- 2 recommendation letters are required: one from your high school counselor and one from a teacher
3. High School Transcripts
- We pay special attention to math, physics, chemistry and other related subjects. Please arrange to have official copies of your transcripts in English sent to us by all high schools you attended.
French Proficiency Requirement
· French native speakers
· TCF, TEF, DELF/DALF > B1
· Oral exams on physics and maths (by video-communication possible)
· General interview
Financial Aid & Scholarships
· Excellent Students will be awarded scholarships, such as Chinese Government Scholarship, Shanghai Government Scholarship, Teaching Assistantships, or others.
· Students applying for Chinese Government Scholarship should directly to the local Chinese embassy or consulate. When completing the scholarship application form, the applicant should select Shanghai Jiao Tong University as the first priority.
· CNY 45,000 (Approx.US$7,000)
· in early September 2018 (the specific date will be announced in the admission letter)
· The university provides a wide range of housing selections for the international students so that you could choose the dormitory of different prices and types and you could also look for an off-campus residence.
· International students applying for on-campus accommodation are required to book dormitory online. The information in details will be informed with admission letter.
· The relevant regulations by the Ministry of Education of People’s Republic of China and the Management Regulations for International Student of SJTU require that all international students with study duration over 6 months should purchase the Group Comprehensive Insurance in Mainland China. The student without valid Group Comprehensive Insurance or the student who doesn’t submit the valid insurance document to the ISSC will NOT be allowed to register in a new semester.
· The premium of the Group Comprehensive Insurance: RMB800/one year, RMB400/half year. Please log in www.lxbx.net to look up and download the detailed information on the Group Comprehensive Insurance such like the articles, insurance liabilities, insurance claims etc.
· Student visas are only available for international students who have been enrolled by SJTU.
· The international students may apply for X1 and X2 visa to the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate, and enter into China within one week before the day of registration. An international student with an X1 visa shall apply for a residence permit within 30 days after entry into China. Those who fail to make the application and continue to stay with expired visas are treated as illegal stay and will be imposed the penalty prescribed by the law.
· The detailed information on visa application and residence permit will be informed with admission letter.
SJTU Undergraduate Admission Office of International Student
Address: Room 100A, New Admin Building B, 800 Dongchuan Rd, Shanghai, China
Post code: 200240