Founded in 1896, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU) is one of the internationally recognized, top-tier research universities in China, with strong commitment to nurturing future leaders with innovative drives and global visions. The Engineering Cluster Program is a new undergraduate international program designed to combine the strengths of engineering-related fields at SJTU. Offering all major courses in English or French, the Cluster Program welcomes prospective students with an interest in engineering studies from all over the world.
The SJTU Undergraduate Engineering Cluster program in English includes:
-The University of Michigan-Shanghai Jiao Tong University (UM-SJTU) Joint Institute (JI)
-School of Materials Science and Engineering
-School of Electronic Information and Electrical Engineering
-School of Naval Architecture, Ocean and Civil Engineering
-School of Mechanical Engineering
The Cluster Program covers various engineering-related disciplines such as:
-Electrical and Computer Engineering
-Materials Science and Engineering
-Computer Science and Technology
-Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering
-Power and Energy Engineering
Cluster students will take introductory engineering courses in the first 1.5 years at the UM-SJTU Joint Institute. After meeting this requirement, Cluster students may choose to continue their studies at the UM-SJTU Joint Institute or transfer to another engineering school (in English or Chinese) to complete their bachelor’s degree.
Reminder: Although all Cluster courses are taught in English, Cluster students are required to take Chinese culture and language courses while enrolling in their respective degree programs. All Cluster students are expected to meet HSK 4 (Chinese Language Test) as the minimal Chinese language requirement for graduation. Exceptions include Cluster students enrolling in the UM-SJTU Dual Degree Program, JI-KTH 3+2 Bachelor’s Program, or other international programs.
Application Deadlines for 2020 Admission
Early Action – November 15, 2019 (Beijing Time, GMT+8)
Regular Application – April 15, 2020 (Beijing Time, GMT+8)
1. Healthy, non-Chinese citizens, foreign passport holders with senior high school diploma (or above)
2. Applicants who have immigrated from mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan to other countries should meet the conditions set by the “Document No. 83 (2009) of Ministry of Education of the PRC”.
1. Test Scores
- SAT (JI code: 6563)
- ACT (JI code: 6983)
- IB (International Baccalaureate)
- National Exam Scores, such as Malaysia National Exam Scores or others
- TOEFL (iBT) (JI code: 6210) for non-native speakers of English
- IELTS for non-native speakers of English
- 2 recommendation letters are required: one from your high school counselor and one from a teacher
3. High School Transcripts
- Special attention is given to mathematics, physics, chemistry and other related subjects. Applicants should arrange to have copies of their official transcripts in English sent to SJTU from the high school(s) they attended.
English Proficiency Requirement
TOEFL (iBT) – 84 or above
IELTS – 6 or above
- If SAT critical reading score is 600 or above, or both your ACT reading and English scores are 27 or higher.
- Recently completed at least 4 years of rigorous academic study in any of the following countries: Anguila, Antigua, Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada (except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, England, Federated States of Micronesia, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Montserrat, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Seychelles, Shetland Islands, St. Kitts-Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States (other than Puerto Rico), US Virgin Islands, Wales.
Outstanding students will be awarded scholarships, such as Chinese Government Scholarship, Shanghai Government Scholarship, Shanghai Jiao Tong University scholarship and others.
Applicants for Chinese Government Scholarship should directly contact the local Chinese Embassy or Consulate. When completing the scholarship application form, applicants should select Shanghai Jiao Tong University as their first choice.
Applicants for SJTU scholarships are eligible for the ones listed below:
Full tuition award, living allowance (2,500 CNY per month), accommodation subsidy (1,000 CNY per month), insurance
· Applicants have been officially admitted by SJTU without being awardees of other scholarships at the same time;
· Scholarship is awarded based on the comprehensive ranking of applicant's academic and interview performance.
· SJTU reserves the right of final explanation.
50% tuition award, accommodation subsidy (1,000 CNY per month), insurance
Third- Class Scholarship
25% tuition award, insurance
Tuition: CNY 80,000/Year
Insurance: CNY 800/Year (The relevant regulations by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China and the Management Regulations for International Student of SJTU require all international students with study duration over 6 months to purchase the Group Comprehensive Insurance in Mainland China.)
In early September 2020 (the exact date will be specified in the admission letter)
Admission Office of International Student Center, SJTU
Address: Room 100A, New Administration Building B, 800 Dongchuan Rd, Shanghai, China
Post code: 200240
UM-SJTU Joint Institute (JI)
Address: UM-SJTU Joint Institute, 800 Dongchuan Rd, Shanghai, China
Post code: 200240
Tel: +86-21-3420-6045 ext. 4492